|Kanji||赤羽 業 (カルマ)|
|Height||175 cm (5'9")|
|Weight||60 kg (132 lbs)|
|School||Kunugigaoka Junior High School|
|Anime||Episode 2 (cameo) |
Episode 3 (official)
|Japanese Voice||Nobuhiko Okamoto (OVA & Anime) |
Nobunaga Shimazaki (VOMIC)
|English Voice||Austin Tindle (Funimation Broadcast Dub)|
Karma is fairly tall for a middle school student. He has pale skin, short red hair, and pale sharp eyes that appear as either mercury or gold in color. Behind his usual innocent-looking smiling face hides a torturous and rather sadistic personality. He is slender and has also been shown to have exceptionally sharp canine teeth.
Karma is well-known throughout the school for his violent behavior and troublesome attitude. When he was in the main building, due to the betrayal of his most-trusted homeroom teacher, he began to hate all people who called themselves 'teachers' and as a result has almost zero respect for any adults. He is shown to be be skilled in fighting, tricky, and manipulative, and takes great pleasure in harming others. He excels at using weaponry and foul play and is one of the few students thus far to have successfully injured Korosensei.
Karma has been described by Karasuma as "at first glance, he comes across as being a lazy sort, but... there's a strong sense of mischief in his eyes." Karma is quite relaxed most of the time as he occasionally skips out on things he finds boring, such as the school assembly. When fighting, he becomes brutal and has no qualms of hurting people who threatens him or any of his friends from Class E.
It is also shown that he is one of the most intelligent people in the entire school, shown to be ranked 4th out of all 186 students in Kunigigaoka. He does not, however, want to return to the main building, stating that he finds assassination much more interesting.
Regardless of his lazy personality, Itona has stated that Karma was probably the strongest within the class despite him not excelling in any particular area (shooting, knifework, etc). Most likely this means that Karma prefers to stick to tricks and pranks for assassinations rather than going into full-out combat, and also because of a certain "vision" Itona described to Terasaka. It has been mentioned by Karasuma, and proven many times, that Karma likes to humiliate his opponent.
Despite all this, Karma actually has good morales behind his motives. The reason he was placed in Class E was because he had rescued a senior from Class E being bullied by students from the main building. He was, unlike his classmates, unprejudiced against them and still considered the senior a 'senpai'.
He's also shown to be hardworking when he wants to by studying diligently after the embarrassing exam arc although he hides it by making it look like he was playing video games.
Karma had for a long time been a rebellious student with a problematic attitude. However, due to his good grades, his homeroom teacher had supported him and proclaimed that "as long as you are in the right, sensei will be on your side".
One day he had found a senior from Class E being bullied and had jumped to his rescue, severely injuring his classmate in the process. Convinced that he was still in the 'right', he was shocked when his homeroom teacher told him that he was in the 'wrong'. The teacher then further elaborated that he had no right to protect a worthless piece of trash from Class E and instead injured a fellow student with a bright future. The teacher then told him that starting his 3rd year he would be dropped to Class E. This caused the teacher's worth to 'die' in Karma's eyes, also causing Karma to stop caring about teachers in general and instead focused on doing what he wanted.
Marksmanship: Karma is ranked 3rd for marksmanship, boys' side.
Intelligence: Karma is one of the smartest characters in the series. He assets his wit and guile to assassinations as well as other scenarios that may require it and is often the first person to notice any oddities that may occur around and within Class E.
Other Skills: Besides his intelligence, Karma also a knack for battle and enjoys it. He also has good physical abilities like mobility, fighting skills, and a good mind for pranks and foul play.
- Main article: Nagisa Shiota
Nagisa is Karma's closest friend and seems to be the only one that he's willing to listen to. The two of them have been classmates since their first year at Kunugigaoka and as a result know each other well. The two often hang out together and seem to enjoy the same things like movies. Nagisa has once stated that he envies Karma's easy-going, brilliant personality, and Karma is sometimes seen asking for Nagisa's advice or intel. Karma also enjoys teasing Nagisa and often has many creative methods to do so; many of which poke fun at his androgynous. Despite that, Nagisa really doesn't mind it and isn't offended by it. It has also been noted that Karma considers Nagisa a prodigy and has high respect for his skill.
- Main article: Manami Okuda
During the school trip, Karma was asked by his fellow male students of which female classmate he liked. Karma replied that he liked Manami Okuda. However, upon further questioning, Karma added that it was because she could whip up a bunch of shady chemicals for him to play around with. Maehara's reaction upon this confession was: "I really don't wanna let the two of you hook up..." During the Assassination Test of Courage, Korosensei paired Karma with Manami.
Karma enjoys messing with Terasaka since he is a muscle idiot and easy to manipulate.
- (To Korosensei, Chapter 14) "Even if the questions change, it makes no difference to me."
- His favorite subject is Math while his least favorite is Japanese.
- His hobbies/specialty are provocation, mischief, and harassment.
- Karma is the first student that managed to inflict damage on Korosensei.
- He wants to become an evil bureaucrat in the future.
- His first name only appears in kanji (業) during his formal introduction. The other students, and eventually also Korosensei, refer to him with the katakana (カルマ) version of his name.
- He was called "Chuunihan (中二半)" during Class 3-E training using code names, which is likely a play on the term chuunibyou, meaning he is considered "half" a chuunibyou (i.e. he's growing out of his chuuni phase). However, considering the author's affinity for puns, it could mean something else entirely.
- Karma is one of the few people in the entire manga who is referred to by his first name.
- In the popularity poll of Volume 12, he was the highest ranked character, achieving 1st place.
- In the tankobon extras, his statistics were listed as:
- Physical strength: 4
- Mobility: 4
- Close-range assassination: 4.5
- Long-range assassination: 4.5
- Academic ability: 5
- Characteristic skill: 5 (fighting)
- As of Chapter 123, Karma is the top ranking student of Kunugigaoka, placing first with a perfect score of 500.
- His previous rankings in order follow: 4th, 13th, and 2nd.
- He shares both his Japanese and English voice actors with Accelerator from the Toaru Series.